Sunday, April 7, 2013

Connie Van Fleet & the Importance of Stories


A Note: Stories, Not Statistics

It will probably come as no surprise that I believe in stories. Of course I do. I’m an unrepentant novel-reader, Readers’ Advisory freak, watcher of story-driven movies and television series with long-term character arcs (“Mad Men” much?). 

Stories simply tell us more – and with more meaning— than statistics and spreadsheets ever will. (Of course, there are those people who look at spreadsheets and see the stories in those. That is a rare gift; bless them!)

The public library, for me, is a place of stories: not just a place where we connect people to the stories that will enrich their lives, but where the stories of patrons’ lives intersect with the stories of librarian’s lives.

I did not know the late Dr. Connie Van Fleet well, but from my limited contact with her -- and from those who did know her well -- she, too, believed in the power of stories... and public libraries.

At one OLA workshop on African-American Literature Readers' Advisory that I attended a few years ago, Connie memorably described an experience she had with an older African-American woman, in Sunday hat and gloves, approaching the library public services desk in New Orleans. Connie immediately thought she would ask for gospel music, or Bible studies, but instead the lady asked for something completely different -- true crime books, if I'm not mistaken, "the bloodier the better!"

I loved this story because it was funny and knowing -- and was much more effective than if Connie had just said, "Be careful not to stereotype your customers and their reading tastes based on how they look." Every time I have a customer approach the desk and I think I know what they will ask for, I try to erase that notion and be completely present to their needs. That is largely Connie's doing.

This project is dedicated to her, and I hope it will be a fitting tribute to her. The world lost a great advocate for public libraries when she died earlier this year, but more than that -- we lost a great human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment